Eurostar Group – Marketing communications
- Who is responsible for your data?
THI Factory (“Thalys”) and Eurostar International Ltd (“Eurostar”) are now part of the same group of undertakings, the “Eurostar Group”. The “Eurostar Group” is the joint data controllers and is jointly responsible for how your personal data is handled in the context of direct marketing communications. This means that the Eurostar Group determines together the purposes and means of processing of your personal data with regards to sending you marketing communications.
To contact our DPO you can send an email to either firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- What are the relevant personal data?
- Personal details (surname, first name, address, telephone number, - e-mail address, etc.);
- Demographic (such as gender, language, age);
- Lifestyle and consumption of goods and services;
- Hobbies and interests;
- Travel information;
- Profile (preferred products and services, preferred modes of communication, etc.);
- Information relating to navigation and behaviour on our website (depending on the pages viewed, the products viewed, searches performed, etc.).
- How we use your personal data
To send you marketing communications, we really on your consent. When you consent via an opt-in to receiving communications from us and/or our partners, then we will electronically send you personalised communication based on your traveller’s profile containing commercial information about new services and products, promotions and benefits, the opportunity to participate in competitions, surveys, etc.
When the processing by the Eurostar Group is based on your consent, you can withdraw it at any time. More information regarding the withdrawal of your consent can be found in the section regarding your rights.
Sometimes, we may process your data for purposes that are in our legitimate interest, in which case we seek to preserve a proportionate balance between our legitimate interest and respect for your privacy. In this context, your data can be processed in order to:
- To jointly manage our information systems and the security of those systems;
- When you have purchased a trip, to promote similar products and services unless you have refused that type of communication;
- when you have started the process of ordering a trip without completing the purchase ("abandon cart"), we will contact you to remind you to complete your order;
- exercise, defend and preserve our rights, for example during litigation, as well as to compile the proof of a possible violation of our rights.
- Your rights as a data subject
The Right to Object and Withdraw Consent to Marketing Communications
When the processing is based on your consent, you can withdraw it at any time. Moreover, you also have the right to object at any time to the processing of your personal data for the purpose of marketing communications.
In the context of direct marketing, this means that you can unsubscribe at any time from our commercial communications. You can unsubscribe by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each email or by changing your preferences in your account. In case of problems, you can unsubscribe by contacting Customer Service here (Eurostar) or here (Thalys).
However, please note that when you exercise your right to object to the sending of direct marketing, this only applies to the given e-mail address. Moreover, this withdrawal will not affect the legality of the processing of your data during the period preceding your withdrawal of consent.
You also have other rights under GDPR i.e. Right of access; Right of rectification; Right to erasure ("right to be forgotten"); Right to restrict the processing; Right to data portability; Right of opposition.
- Exercise your rights and complaints
If you want to exercise your rights or have any question concerning the Eurostar Group’s processing of your personal data please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
We aim to respond to your request without undue delay, and in any event, within one month from the date of the original request. We reserve the right to extend this date by a further two calendar months in the event of complex numerous requests.
If you believe that the Eurostar Group is in violation their data protection obligations, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection authority.
For more information regarding the processing of your personal data by Eurostar or Thalys individually, please refer to our respective privacy policies here and here.
Last updated 11/01/2023