Eurostar sets new Guinness World Record with cast and filmmakers of Columbia Pictures’ The Da Vinci Code
17 May 2006
--Eurostar train arrives in Cannes after longest non-stop international train journey--Guinness World Records verify the achievement
The cast and filmmakers of Columbia Pictures' The Da Vinci Code today helped Eurostar set a Guinness World Record for the longest non-stop international train journey. The record was set as the Eurostar train arrived in Cannes, with the cast and filmmakers onboard, for the start of the Cannes Film Festival.
The Eurostar journey, which took 7 hours 25 minutes, started in London at 09.40 London time this morning, after stars Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou and director Ron Howard, had named the train "The Da Vinci Code." It is the first time a Eurostar has made the journey with travellers from London to Cannes, and the longest non-stop high-speed journey in the world, with a distance of 1421km.
An official from Guinness World Records certified the record-breaking run and confirmed the record distance during a presentation on arrival at Cannes station.
Eurostar Chairman, Guillaume Pepy, commented: "This is an incredible achievement on an historic day. Eurostar has set a new world record for high-speed trains after bringing the cast and filmmakers of The Da Vinci Code in style from London to Cannes. We are confident that the team are now fully prepared for another historic event - the film's global premiere at the Cannes Film Festival."
The Da Vinci Code will be released worldwide on May 19 2006.
From director Ron Howard, producer Brian Grazer and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, (the Oscar®-winning team of A Beautiful Mind), and producer John Calley (the Oscar®-nominated The Remains of the Day), comes the film version of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, one of the most popular and talked about novels of our time, with a cast headed by two-time Academy Award® winner Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou, Sir Ian McKellen, Alfred Molina, Jürgen Prochnow, Paul Bettany and Jean Reno. Produced by Grazer and Calley, The Da Vinci Code www.SoDarkTheConOfMan.com involves a thrilling murder investigation that unearths the biggest cover-up in human history.
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar has won the title of "World's Leading Rail Service" for the last eight years at the World Travel Awards.
3. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
4. In 2007, Eurostar will switch its UK operations to London's St. Pancras International. Journey times will fall further with London-Paris only 2h 15m; London-Brussels 1h 51m and London-Lille just 1h20m.
5. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186186 or contact your travel agent.
6. Columbia Pictures, part of the Columbia Tristar Motion Picture Group, is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company. Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America (SCA), a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in 67 countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found at www.sonypictures.com
7. Guinness World Records is the universally recognized authority on record-breaking achievement. First published in 1955, the annual Guinness World Records book is published in more than 100 countries and 20 languages and is one of the highest-selling books under copyright of all time with more than 3 million copies sold annually across the globe.
- ends -
For more information:
Eurostar Press Office+44 (0)20 7922 firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Elzer,Senior Vice President, Media RelationsColumbia TriStar Motion Picture Group(310) email@example.com
To access photography for this and other Cannes events: