Check COVID-19 travel restrictions, testing and self-isolation rules, and complete any mandatory documents before you go. Since 14 Jan, entry rules for France have eased for fully vaccinated passengers.
Throughout 2020, we worked in partnership with the Woodland Trust, ReforestAction, and Trees for All to plant a tree for every train we ran across our routes. In total, we planted 20,000 trees in woodland in the UK, France, Belgium, and the Netherlands.
Since 2007 when we introduced our original Tread Lightly plan we have continuously reduced our carbon footprint making Eurostar the greenest mode of transport between the UK and mainland Europe on the routes we serve.
Reducing our carbon footprint has always been a key priority for our company and we are determined to build on our achievements. At the start of 2018 we committed to set a bold new science-based target to further increase the energy efficiency of our business.
In accordance with the 2016 Paris Climate Agreement and the Science Based Target Initiative we are committing to a significant reduction in our corporate emissions by 2020, supporting the drive to limit global warming to below 2 degrees celsius and creating a low carbon future.
1. We will make a reduction of 5% of train energy by 2020. Train energy represents the majority of the power we take from the national grids to operate our services.
2. We will reduce train energy by using energy meters on-board our e320 trains and delivering an energy efficient driving programme to all our train drivers by 2020.
3. We will eliminate the use of fossil fuel energy for all of our train journeys across our markets by 2030.
4. We will invest in renewable energy at our UK depot, our biggest industrial facility with a substantial footprint, by installing banks of solar panels.
Reducing plastic and waste
5. At our stations, we will continue to prevent waste from going to landfill and will work with our partners to achieve more segregation of waste and increase rates of recycling.
6. We are committed to reducing waste on board, working with our catering suppliers to reduce waste at source and using best industry practice to find innovative alternatives to traditional packaging.
7. We have set up a working group focused on reducing the usage of plastic with the clear remit of finding new alternatives to plastic. Our aim is to reduce our consumption of plastic by 50% by 2020.
8. Over the last ten years we have significantly reduced the amount of paper we use by thousands of tons. Using digital technology we aim to eliminate paper ticketing with a reduction of 50% by 2020.
Commitment to sustainability
9. We are committed to exchanging all the vehicles we own for electric alternatives by 2020. In the meantime, we will work with our suppliers to accelerate the switch of their vehicles.
10. We are determined to improve our sustainable food credentials further by up-grading our 2-star rating from the Sustainable Restaurant Association for our onboard and business lounge food and drink to a 3-star rating by 2020.