By using the Eurostar websites (eurostar.com, m.eurostar.com, Eurostar Snap, the Eurostar on-board entertainment portal and the Eurostar mobile app) and its services, you consent to the collection and use of the information for the purposes set out below.
Eurostar will be the data controller under the Data Protection Act 1998, and any personal data you provide will be kept on file for our reference. This allows us to process your Eurostar bookings efficiently and gain a better understanding of your requirements. The information we collect and process about you may include:
- Information you provide to us during the booking process
- Information you provide to us by filling in forms on the Eurostar websites
- Information you provide to us during your journey, including information we are required to collect for immigration, police and border control purposes
- Information collected through correspondence with our traveller care, station and sales teams, including by phone, email and post
- Information you provide to us in order to register for alerts and operational messages
- Information shared during social media interactions with you
- Information you provide to us when entering competitions
- CCTV operated at the sites in which we operate
- Statistical data about your interactions with the Eurostar website and Eurostar marketing messages, for example through email or through online advertising.
- Statistical data about your use of our onboard wi-fi and entertainment, including information about the device you use, IP address, MAC address, browsing activity and entertainment content accessed
- Information you provide to us for recruitment purposes
We may require you to submit personally identifiable information for you to make use of our services. You confirm that any information you enter will be true.
Use of information
Your data may be used for the following purposes:
- Providing services to you
- Communicating with you and sending you information in relation to your booking
- Billing and audit
- Credit and other payment card verification and screening
- Immigration, customs control and policing (including disclosing data to the UK, French and Belgian authorities)
- Safety and security
- Health, administrative and legal purposes
- Statistical and marketing analysis, including segmentation
- Systems testing, maintenance and development
- Customer surveys
- Customer relations
- Marketing, including recommending additional Eurostar services or products we feel would be relevant to you
- To help us in any future dealings with you, for example by identifying your requirements and preferences
Eurostar may also monitor webserver activity for data analysis, sales and marketing reports, analysing frequency of visits and developing marketing profiles. Eurostar may use your information for market research and strategic development to help us develop new products and make further enhancements to our communication plans, so that they are more aligned to your profile.
You will be given the opportunity to opt in to receive additional marketing correspondence from Eurostar either by email or mobile phone (SMS or MMS). After you have registered, you may opt out or change your preferences at any time by editing your account information in the My Eurostar section of eurostar.com, by clicking Unsubscribe on any Eurostar marketing email or by replying STOP to any marketing SMS or MMS sent by Eurostar.
When you access the Eurostar websites and open electronic marketing communications from us we collect information about your location based on your IP address. Your IP address acts as a unique identifier for your computer or mobile device and can be used to indicate the country from which you are accessing the Eurostar websites or opening the marketing communication. Knowing the country you are likely to be in enables us to provide more relevant content and do so in an appropriate language. We also use this information to analyse how our website users interact with our websites and marketing communications.
Eurostar marketing communications may include paid-for advertising content from Third Parties. The communication will always come from us and we never share your personal data with the advertising Third Party.
Where you have given us consent to do so, Eurostar may also share your personal data with Third Parties such as media partners (e.g. Facebook and other social media platforms, Google) for marketing purposes aggregated data for analytics purposes, or with our carefully selected suppliers who help us to provide our service to you. Your data will always be handled in a secure manner, by us and by any Third Parties and Suppliers we work with.
We retain the data you provide, including data we collect when you use our services and facilities, for a reasonable period of time or as long as the law requires us to retain the information. If you wish to amend the personal data you have submitted online, you can edit your details and communication preferences by logging in to your eurostar.com account, emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to Eurostar International Ltd, PO Box 13, TN23 1WZ.
Eurostar places a cookie on your computer when you first enter the website to identify your country and, if applicable, language preferences. A cookie is a piece of data stored on your computer containing information about you, which enables us to display content relevant to your market. Only non-personal information is stored in your cookie. For the use of the Eurostar Booking Engine, the cookie is also used to keep track of Eurostar products placed in your shopping basket. If you create a Eurostar account and select the "auto-login" option, a unique ID number will be placed in your cookie to enable you to return to Eurostar websites without having to log in again. If you disable the cookies, you will still be able to use the website and book tickets.
Tagging of sites
Security of passenger information
Eurostar stores passenger information in a central database, which is managed by our administrative staff and authorised agencies and is accessible electronically. Security measures are in place to ensure that data cannot be accessed by unauthorised persons. From time to time, people such as IT systems suppliers may need to access the system. Eurostar's security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we are able to disclose sensitive information to you.
Access to your personal data
You have the right to see the personal data held about you by Eurostar. Eurostar will provide this information for the maximum fee permitted by statute.
Please put your request in writing to email@example.com or Eurostar International Ltd, PO Box 13, TN23 1WZ.
Outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
Other linked websites
To query protection of your personal data
Please note that as the data processing takes place in the United Kingdom, it is English law that applies, even in a communication with a customer who lives outside the UK. If you have any questions or comments concerning your personal data, including the way Eurostar protects your privacy or processes your personal data, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or Eurostar International Ltd, PO Box 13, TN23 1WZ.
Eurostar's policy is to correct any mistakes as soon as they are brought to our attention within our office working hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm GMT, excluding English public holidays.
Version: 3 March 2017