Eurostar presents traction: an offical london 2012 festival event curated by gilles peterson
29 Mar 2012
*Sébastien Tellier and The Brandt Brauer Frick Ensemble to perform on 14th July
*Venue confirmed as London's newest creative quarter – Granary Square, N1C
Eurostar, an official supporter of the London 2012 Festival, today unveils an original one-day summer festival – Eurostar presents Traction – curated by internationally renowned DJ Gilles Peterson.
The unique event, created by Eurostar, will bring together musical, dance and arts performers from across Europe for a special one-day festival to celebrate the diversity of European talent on London's doorstep.
Parisian Sébastien Tellier and Cologne's Brandt Brauer Frick Ensemble are the first two acts to be confirmed today, with further names set to join the line up in the coming weeks. Each performer has been handpicked by Gilles Peterson, drawing on his 30-years of experience in the music industry and his insatiable appetite for groundbreaking new music.
Traction will be the very first event to take place in London's newest creative quarter - Granary Square - a stone's throw from Eurostar's central London home, St Pancras International. Opening to the public for the first time in June, Granary Square will be one of the largest urban spaces of its kind in Europe. The square sits at the heart of the 67-acre King's Cross development, which combines new and magnificently restored historic buildings with an ambitious art programme featuring major commissions by internationally acclaimed artists.
Early bird ticket sales for Eurostar presents Traction open today, priced at £15 each, with regular tickets on sale at £20 each from 26th April. For more information and to book tickets, visit www.eurostartraction.com or www.ticketmaster.co.uk
Gilles Peterson, curator of Traction, said: "Emerging across Europe is a wealth of pioneering musical talent. Traction will give thousands of residents and visitors to the London 2012 Games the chance to discover the exciting new music on offer just a short journey from the UK. In curating this very special event, we will bring a truly original experience to the public as they celebrate the arrival of the Games in London."
Lionel Benbassat, Director of Marketing at Eurostar, said: "With such an inspiring and eclectic mix of European music, art and dance, London's newest creative quarter will come to life for the first time in July. We are excited to be bringing together Europe's finest talent from across our destinations as the nation counts down to the London 2012 celebrations."
Ruth Mackenzie, Director, London 2012 Festival, said: "Many thanks to our supporter Eurostar for a great line up to celebrate musical revolution in Europe as a highlight of the London 2012 Festival."
Eurostar is the Official International Rail Service Provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. During the summer, Eurostar will carry Olympic and Paralympic fans from the continent to London to soak up the atmosphere of the Games. Tickets for Eurostar services during the Games are open for sale. For more information about Eurostar or to book Eurostar tickets visit www.eurostar.com or call 03448 224 777.
The London 2012 Festival is a 12 week UK-wide programme bringing together leading artists from across the world. Visit www.london2012.com/festival to find out more about the programme and sign up to be the first to hear latest news.
Note to editors:
About Eurostar presents Traction
Title: Eurostar presents Traction, curated by Gilles Peterson
Date: Saturday 14th July, 2012
Location: Granary Square, off Goods Way, King's Cross, London N1C (4AA)
Timings: 5pm – 11pm, doors open at 4pm
Tickets: £20 / Early bird £15 plus booking fee, postage and packing
Over 18s only
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar was established in 1994 as a partnership between three railway companies: SNCF, SNCB and LCR (London and Continental Railways). On 1 September 2010, Eurostar became a single, unified corporate entity owned by three shareholders: SNCF, SNCB and LCR.
3. The current Eurostar train was first introduced into service in 1994 carrying 750 passengers and operating at speeds of up to 300kph. Since then, the fleet of 28 trains has carried more than 100 million passengers between London and the Continent. Following their refurbishment these trains will continue to form a core part of the Eurostar fleet. The new Eurostar e320 will carry more than 900 passengers at speeds of up to 320kph.
4. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
5. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle services and the Channel Tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
6. Eurostar recently launched an exciting new partnership with the international high-speed train operator, Thalys to enable passengers to take advantage of new low fares for travel from London St Pancras International to Amsterdam, starting from £99 return in Standard class and £190 return in Standard Premier class.
7. To book tickets or for more travel information, please visit www.eurostar.com or call 03448 224 777 .
About the Cultural Olympiad and London 2012 Festival
The London 2012 Cultural Olympiad is the largest cultural celebration in the history of the modern Olympic and Paralympic Movements. Spread over four years, it is designed to give everyone in the UK a chance to be part of London 2012 and inspire creativity across all forms of culture, especially among young people.
The culmination of the Cultural Olympiad will be the London 2012 Festival, a spectacular 12-week nationwide celebration bringing together leading artists from across the world with the very best from the UK, from Midsummers Day on 21 June and running until the final day of the Paralympic Games on 9 September 2012.The London 2012 Festival will celebrate the huge range, quality and accessibility of the UK's world-class culture including dance, music, theatre, the visual arts, fashion, film and digital innovation, giving the opportunity for people across the UK to celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Principal funders of the Cultural Olympiad and London 2012 Festival are Arts Council England, Legacy Trust UK and the Olympic Lottery Distributor. BP and BT are Premier Partners of the Cultural Olympiad and the London 2012 Festival.
For more details on the programme and to sign up for information visit www.london2012.com/festival
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500