Eurostar launches Eurostar Live
17 Feb 2012
Eurostar integrates social media with real-time outdoor advertising to build customer loyalty
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger service linking London and mainland Europe, is launching Eurostar Live – a new live platform which will run across outdoor and digital media from next week.
Combining live content across 363 digital screens in London and the South East, it is the first time a major brand has adopted this form of marketing, in which social media is integrated with large-scale advertising.
The platform, which will go live on 23rd February 2012, forms part of a new campaign promoting Eurostar's service to Amsterdam via Brussels. The Cloud and Compass has developed the platform, with Arena Media and Posterscope providing media planning and buying support and We Are Social delivering the social activation.
Running across numerous formats and with circa 4000 executions a day, Eurostar Live will be truly interactive - driven via Facebook and Twitter updates enabling unique executions. As a real-time and multi platform system, an image uploaded online can be re-purposed immediately to run on underground cross–track projections and digital executive channel LCD screens, and comments from bloggers can be live on screen in minutes.
Eurostar Live is the next phase of Eurostar's ongoing strategy to integrate social media across their business to help build customer loyalty. It was created as part of their focus on expanding their business to help travellers connect to exciting new destinations across Europe. The Amsterdam campaign will be underpinned by Eurostar Live content which will support the strapline 'Now from the heart of London to the soul of Amsterdam' created by Fallon.
Lionel Benbassat, Director of Marketing and Brand at Eurostar, said: "Social engagement needs to run through our entire business, with customers openly sharing their experiences to help inform other Eurostar travellers. We believe that in getting this right, we can in turn enhance the power of conventional channels to drive acquisition and customer loyalty.
Our challenge is to ensure that social engagement runs through every customer touch point across the business, and the delivery of Eurostar Live is the first manifestation of that approach."
Henry Daglish, Deputy MD Arena Media, said: "We see Eurostar Live as the start of a new era. Through Eurostar's 'Opening the Way' proposition this is an opportunity to create a platform for which consumers can create meaningful conversation within Eurostar's brand positioning."
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar was established in 1994 as a partnership between three railway companies: SNCF, SNCB and LCR (London and Continental Railways). On 1 September 2010, Eurostar became a single, unified corporate entity owned by three shareholders: SNCF, SNCB and LCR.
3. The current Eurostar train was first introduced into service in 1994 carrying 750 passengers and operating at speeds of up to 300kph. Since then, the fleet of 28 trains has carried more than 115 million passengers between London and the Continent. Following their refurbishment these trains will continue to form a core part of the Eurostar fleet.
4. The Eurostar Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel
- Since 2001 the Ashden awards have been supporting sustainability projects across the globe and now they're working with Eurostar to promote sustainable travel
- As part of the Tread Lightly programme to cut carbon and get people thinking differently about their journeys, Eurostar has launched the Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel
- With a prize fund and a host of benefits, the Eurostar Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel will celebrate and support local sustainable travel projects in the UK, France and Belgium
5. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
6. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle services and the Channel Tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500
About Arena Media
Arena Media was launched in 2008 following an investment from Arena Media Communications, part of Havas Media. Originally founded in 1990 as BLM, in 1998 it launched digital agency, Quantum, which grew to be the UK's second biggest independent digital agency. In 2009 Quantum was voted Digital Agency of the Year for the second year running.
Arena Media also comprises of Arena Azure, a specialist in the toy and kids sector that launched in 2002.
Arena Media's clients include: Bourne Leisure, Character Options, Domino's Pizza, Eurostar, Legal & General, Mirror Group Newspapers, Next Directory, Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, Sports Direct, Swiftcover Insurance, Tesco Bank, Thomas Cook and Westfield.
Arena is Havas Media's fastest-growing tailor-made communications network and now operates in eight markets: UK, Spain, Portugal, France, Mexico, Argentina, Chile and Colombia. In most markets established prior to 2008, Arena is ranked within the top five agencies. Arena's global client list include brands such as Santander, Movistar (Telefonica), Wal Mart, Bwin, Damm Group, Aero Mexico, Bebidas, Fox Channel, Paris, Bayer, Parmalat, Quala, Pritty Cola, Comunidad de Madrid (feria de artesania &Plan Fico, and Cetelem) and Mitsubishi.
About The Cloud and Compass
The Cloud and Compass is a digital creative agency and innovation specialist developing live media platforms for brands using real time feeds. Their content management system, Live Poster, has been used recently by Channel 4 for a campaign to promote C4 News to commuters. The system enables brands to create, schedule and distribute their content feeds as broadcast quality posters to a number of digital OOH media owners.