New Eurostar App Turns your Phone into a Ticket to Europe
23 Aug 2011
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger service linking the UK and mainland Europe has today launched a free mobile application allowing passengers to book journeys on-the-go and receive tickets direct to their phones.
The Eurostar App, which is available for iPhone and Android devices, allows passengers to book and manage journeys between the UK and Paris, Brussels and Lille. Passengers, who book journeys using the Eurostar App, will immediately receive a mobile ticket with an electronic barcode on their device. The mobile ticket can then be simply scanned at check-in.
Members of Eurostar's Loyalty Programmes (Eurostar Frequent Traveller and Eurostar Plus Points) can also use the App to earn points when they book and to view their point balances at the touch of a screen. Other functions of the Eurostar App include; live service updates to keep passengers informed of disruptions and a personal profile page, which provides an option to store address details and seating preferences.
In addition, to facilitating booking amendments at the touch of a screen, the Eurostar App's simple Express Exchange functionality offers Business Premier travellers the flexibility to change their journey details to fit around their busy schedules.
The free Eurostar App helps travellers;
- Make bookings for up to six travellers between Paris, Brussels, Lille and the UK on the go
- Check-in using mobile ticketing (NB: mobile tickets are not yet available for multiple bookings)
- Review booking(s) and journey details
- Amend booking using the Express Exchange functionality for Business Premier tickets
- Collect and review loyalty points on-the-go
- Access service updates and FAQs
Eurostar has also launched a mobile version of eurostar.com, to give its customers an enhanced online experience when using their mobile devices to access the website. The mobile website offers a simplified homepage, the ability to book and manage journeys as well as access to loyalty point balances and service updates.
Nick Mercer, Commercial Director for Eurostar comments: "Our aim is to make using our services as easy and seamless as possible. So with the majority of our customers now owning a smartphone, we are really pleased that we are able to provide a new suite of services that make booking and checking in even easier for them.
"The new Eurostar App and mobile website represent the start of many exciting mobile developments for Eurostar, which will help ensure we become the first choice operator of short haul travel from the UK to Europe."
The Eurostar App is available for free from the App Store on iPhone or the Android Market on Android devices.
The Eurostar App was created by Backelite
For more information about the new Eurostar App and mobile website, visit www.eurostar.com/mobile-ukuk or call 03448 224 777.
Note to editors:
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar was established in 1994 as a partnership between three railway companies: SNCF, SNCB and LCR (London and Continental Railways). On 1 September 2010, Eurostar became a single, unified corporate entity owned by three shareholders: SNCF, SNCB and LCR.
3. The current Eurostar train was first introduced into service in 1994 carrying 750 passengers and operating at speeds of up to 300kph. Since then, the fleet of 28 trains has carried more than 115 million passengers between London and the Continent. Following their refurbishment these trains will continue to form a core part of the Eurostar fleet.
4. The Eurostar Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel
Since 2001 the Ashden awards have been supporting sustainability projects across the globe and now they're working with Eurostar to promote sustainable travelAs part of the Tread Lightly programme to cut carbon and get people thinking differently about their journeys, Eurostar has launched the Ashden Award for Sustainable TravelWith a prize fund and a host of benefits, the Eurostar Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel will celebrate and support local sustainable travel projects in the UK, France and Belgium
5. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500