Book early to explore Provence with Eurostar next summer
19 Dec 2011
Eurostar's popular direct summer services to Avignon will open for sale earlier than usual from 20 December 2011, to cope with traveller demand for the quick and convenient services to the stunning Provence region of France.
Holidaymakers are advised to book early to avoid disappointment for the weekly direct services that will run from 7 July to 1 September 2012. With direct journey times of less than six hours from St Pancras International in London and Ashford International in Kent, the summer service is a perennial favourite with travellers with tickets selling fast every year. Customers enjoy the convenience of boarding a Eurostar service in the UK, then travelling non-stop through the magnificent French countryside, direct to Avignon in the heart of Provence.
Nick Mercer, Commercial Director for Eurostar commented, "Our direct Avignon summer services grow in popularity each year, as people across the country see how easy and enjoyable it is to travel across Europe by high-speed rail. By opening sales to Avignon earlier than usual we are giving customers even more flexibility when planning their summer trip to Provence. Journeys with Eurostar avoid the summer scramble at the airports and increasingly, passengers see their journey as part of the holiday itself."
Direct Eurostar tickets are available from only £109 return in Standard class and £249 return in Standard Premier. If direct services are full, Eurostar offers connecting services all year round that arrive into Avignon TGV station, which is located just outside the town centre. Tickets for the connecting services are available from £119 return in Standard class and £239 return in Standard Premier.
Tickets for the Avignon direct summer service and for connecting services all year round are available from www.eurostar.com, by calling 03448 224 777, at Eurostar stations or from travel agents.
About the Avignon Direct Service
The recommended check-in time for the direct Eurostar to Avignon is 60 minutes before departure.
- Timetable (all times are local):
St Pancras International 07h17
Ashford International 07h55
Avignon Centre 13h47
Avignon Centre 16h27
Ashford International 20h37
St Pancras International 21h11
1. From Saturday 7 July to Saturday 1 September 2012
2. From Saturday 14 July to Saturday 8 September 2012
There will be one service weekly from London St Pancras International and Ashford International to Avignon Centre next summer, from Saturday 7 July to Saturday 1 September 2012.
Avignon train stations
Avignon Centre Station is the city centre station and is distinct from Avignon TGV station, which is on the TGV Med high-speed line. A shuttle bus operates between the two stations, which runs about every 20 minutes and takes approximately 10 minutes. Cost is approximately 3 euros for a single journey.
Note to editors:
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar was established in 1994 as a partnership between three railway companies: SNCF, SNCB and LCR (London and Continental Railways). On 1 September 2010, Eurostar became a single, unified corporate entity owned by three shareholders: SNCF, SNCB and LCR.
3. The current Eurostar train was first introduced into service in 1994 carrying 750 passengers and operating at speeds of up to 300kph. Since then, the fleet of 28 trains has carried more than 115 million passengers between London and the Continent. Following their refurbishment these trains will continue to form a core part of the Eurostar fleet.
4. The Eurostar Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel
- Since 2001 the Ashden awards have been supporting sustainability projects across the globe and now they're working with Eurostar to promote sustainable travel
- As part of the Tread Lightly programme to cut carbon and get people thinking differently about their journeys, Eurostar has launched the Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel
- With a prize fund and a host of benefits, the Eurostar Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel will celebrate and support local sustainable travel projects in the UK, France and Belgium
5. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500