Eurostar Tri-City-Athlon - the countdown has begun
6 Sep 2010
-- Three triathletic disciplines...three European capital cities...one record breaking day
-- Olympians past and present confirmed to participate alongside amateur triathlete competitors in celebration of the London 2012 Games
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger rail service that links the UK with the Continent, is celebrating its role as Official International Rail Services Provider to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games by hosting its unique and record breaking Tri-City-Athlon on Tuesday 14 September. The event, which takes places across the three European capital cities that Eurostar serves, will see participants complete a swim in Paris, a cycle in Brussels and a run in London, all in the same day.
Elite Olympians confirmed to participate
A host of current and former Olympians have confirmed their support of Eurostar's inspiring event by adding their names to the list of competitors in Paris, Brussels and London.
Included in the Tri-City-Athlon starting blocks will be world class, record-breaking triathletes Alistair and Jonny Brownlee (the 'Brownlee brothers') and Vanessa Raw; world champion swimmers Mark Foster and Karen Pickering; international badminton champion Gail Emms; and current 400m British record holder, Iwan Thomas.
14 September 2010 - A unique event in Europe
With less than two years to go until the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Eurostar's ambitious and challenging event will see competitors swim 1.5km in Paris, cycle 40km in Brussels and finally, run 10 km in London's Regents Park. The Eurostar Tri-City-Athlon will unite British, French and Belgium amateur athletes alongside current and former Olympians in their passion for sport.
More than 100 people have been invited to participate in the Eurostar Tri-City-Athlon, including:
- a total of 60 places which were available for public entry – 20 each in the UK, France and Belgium. Members of the public were invited to vote for their favourite entries at www.eurostartricityathlon.com. The final selection process was completed by a special judging panel including from the UK; double Olympic gold medallist James Cracknell; Ironman Triathlete, Keith Hatter; and Eco Ironman triathlete Jon Alexander;
- a special category comprising elite Olympian and world-class athletes;
- 40 places allocated for Eurostar employees, corporate clients and partners.
Three countries in one day
The Eurostar Tri-City-Athlon competitors will begin the day in Paris with a 1.5km swim in the Bassin de la Villette, an outdoor venue which has exceptionally been made available for the event. After the race, a specially chartered Eurostar train will bring participants to Brussels where they will complete a gruelling 40 km bike ride at the Heysel Stadium, a stone's throw from the iconic Atomium structure. Participants will then board another Eurostar train to London where the day will culminate in the final leg of race, a 10km run through Regent's Park.
An awards ceremony will be staged in Regent's Park after completion of the final leg of the Eurostar Tri-City-Athlon.
Eurostar and London 2012
On 12 May 2010, the London Organising Committed of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) announced that Eurostar had become a tier 3 sponsor of London 2012, the Official International Rail Services Provider.
Eurostar's sponsorship of the London 2012 Games will help realise the ambition of delivering the greenest Games ever.
The Tri-City-Athlon is Eurostar's first event in celebration of the partnership and demonstrates London's proximity to Europe, now, and in the run up to the Games.
-- ENDS --
Interviews with elite athletes and amateur competitors available upon request.
Video footage and stills photography from Paris, Brussels and London available upon request.
Note to editors:
1. Prizes for male and female competitors will be awarded as follows:
· 2 return tickets in Eurostar's Business Premier class, valid
on Eurostar routes to Paris, Brussels or London
· 2 nights accommodation in a minimum 4* or equivalent
hotel in London, Brussels, Paris
· £200 spending money, or the equivalent in Euros based
on the exchange rate on day of request
· 2 return tickets in Eurostar's Business Premier class,
valid on Eurostar routes to Paris, Brussels or London
· 1 night accommodation in a minimum 4* or equivalent
hotel in London, Brussels, Paris
· £100 spending money, or the equivalent in Euros
based on the exchange rate on day of request
· 2 return tickets in Eurostar's Business Premier class valid on
Eurostar routes to Paris, Brussels, London
2. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
3. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle services and the Channel Tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
4. To book tickets or for more travel information, please visit www.eurostar.com or call 03448 224 777.
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500