Eurostar tickets to south of France for just £69 return - with no added fees
11 May 2010
More than 1000 return tickets available– call 03448 224 777
Eurostar, the high-speed provider of carbon neutral journeys between the UK and the Continent, has today announced a one off special offer of £69 for return travel to the South of France.
To mark the introduction of Eurostar's trial 'code-share'(1) (in conjunction with French railways - SNCF), a number of tickets at this special price are being made available exclusively through Eurostar's contact centre. Travellers from London St Pancras International can choose from four destinations: Lyon, Avignon, Aix-en-Provence or Marseille.
Connecting in Lille, customers will be able to swap more seamlessly from Eurostar trains to French high-speed TGVs which have carriages specially designated for Eurostar travellers. To ensure that their journey is as hassle-free as possible, on arrival at Lille, passengers will be given advice and directions for their onward travel.
Following the recent airline disruption, Eurostar commissioned independent research(2) which showed that high speed rail is now seen as a serious option for short haul travel in Europe. 84 per cent of people surveyed said that they would definitely or probably choose high speed rail over plane when they are next going to the continent.
Director of Corporate Communications at Eurostar, Mary Walsh, said:"There is no doubt that there has been a clear shift in perception since the volcanic disruption with eight of ten people now saying they would opt for high speed rail over plane for their next trip to the continent.
"We want to encourage travellers to choose high speed rail and to give customers the opportunity to discover and explore destinations beyond our traditional routes. Our priority is to make that experience as easy and seamless as possible."
The promotionThe £69 return tickets are for travel between 1 June and 30 June. Tickets can be booked via the contact centre on 03448 224 777 from 11 May 2010. The special offer tickets are available for code-share services only. Tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable.
Note to editors:
1. Through the 'code-share'(1) agreement with SNCF, passengers can travel using special connecting trains from Lille, to Lyon, Avignon, Aix en Provence and Marseille. Normal prices start from £109 return to Lyon and £119 return to Avignon, Aix-en-Provence and Marseille.
Fastest journey times from London using these services are Lyon in 5 hours 4 minutes; Avignon in 6 hours 13 minutes; Aix-en-Provence in 6 hours 36 minutes and Marseille in 6 hours 50 minutes.
2. The independent research(2) was carried out online by the Toluna group The survey reinforced the attractions of city centre to city centre rail journeys with nearly half the respondents (43%) saying that they would be happy to travel by train for up to 6 hours. Over 80% of those surveyed would choose to go to France by rail and over half said they would opt for the train when going to Spain, Germany and the Netherlands. A sample of 1,036 respondents completed the survey between 21 April and 23 April.
3. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle services and the Channel Tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
5. For travel information, please visit www.eurostar.com or call our contact centre on 03448 224 777.
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500