Eurostar direct day ski services to the French Alps on sale from today (13 July) for 2010-2011 winter season
13 Jul 2010
- First direct day service launches on 19 December 2010
- Fares start from just £149 return
- Seats selling fast
Eurostar, the high speed passenger train linking the UK with the Continent, has today opened ticket sales for its popular direct day ski services from St Pancras International and Ashford International to the French Alps (Tuesday 13 July 2010). Return fares start from £149. Bookings can be made online at www.eurostar.com or by calling
03448 224 777.
Eurostar provides weekly direct services calling at Moûtiers, Aime-La-Plagne and Bourg St Maurice.
Eurostar's direct ski services offer easy access to a variety of top ski destinations in the French Alps such as Courchevel, La Plagne, Tignes, Meribel, Les Arcs. This allows skiers to choose a resort which exactly matches their needs. Eurostar stations are located a short bus ride from the resorts avoiding lengthy transfers to and from the airport. For added convenience, an extra item of luggage on top of the normal luggage allowance - such as a pair of skis or a snowboard - can be taken onboard at no extra cost and without the need to wait at airport baggage reclaim.
Travelling by Eurostar to the French Alps is the obvious choice for skiers who are looking to minimise their carbon footprint. Research commissioned by Eurostar has shown that a Eurostar journey to Bourg St Maurice generates 14kg of CO2 per passenger. By comparison, a typical return flight from London to Geneva emits 147.8kg of CO2 per passenger.
Mary Walsh, Eurostar's Director of Communications, commented: "Eurostar offers the perfect solution for winter sports enthusiasts looking to avoid the stress of travelling by air whilst minimising their environmental impact. On average, a Eurostar journey accounts for just one tenth of the carbon emissions of an equivalent flight and allows travellers to arrive relaxed, refreshed and ready to hit the slopes.
She added: As well as our popular French ski destinations, tickets for resorts in Switzerland will be available later in the year thanks to onward connections in Paris. More and more of our passengers are discovering the ease and convenience of onward travel thanks to Europe's high speed rail network."
Return fares start from £149 standard class. Travellers can indulge themselves on their way to and from the slopes by travelling Standard Premier, enjoying roomier accommodation and meals and drinks served at their seat from just £229 return.
Tickets are available from www.eurostar.com or by calling 03448 224 777.
 From London Stansted to Geneva.
Note to editors:
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service between the UK and mainland Europe, linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, an alliance of Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
3. Under its Tread Lightly environmental plan, Eurostar has set a target of reducing CO2 emissions by 35% per traveller journey by 2012, compared with 2007. Based on comparisons of actual load factors and specific energy data, a Eurostar journey generates just one-tenth of the carbon dioxide of an equivalent flight.
4. Eurostar is an entirely separate company from Eurotunnel. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle services and the Channel Tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
5. Eurostar fares start from just £69 return. Travellers can also buy connecting fares to the Continent from 150 towns and cities across the UK. Return ticket prices range from £72 and include Brighton from only £81 and Edinburgh from only £95. To book tickets or for more information, please visit www.eurostar.com or call 03448 224 777.
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500