Eurostar ranked top train brand in Superbrands UK
21 Jul 2009
Eurostar, the provider of high-speed, carbon neutral rail journeys between the UK and the Continent, has been recognised as the top train operator in this year's Superbrands UK. The survey* - which identifies the UK's strongest consumer brands - is drawn up by the Centre for Brand Analysis. This year, Eurostar was placed 52nd in the top 500 Superbrands (up from 67th last year), making it the top train brand in the UK.
The annual Superbrands programme, now in its 14th year, identifies the UK's strongest brand as voted by the British public. It uses an independent research process to ask a panel of experts and thousands of nationally representative consumers their opinion on every major UK brand. All Superbrands must represent quality, reliability and distinction.
Simon Montague, Eurostar's Director of Communications, commented: "We're delighted that consumers recognise Eurostar as the UK's premier train brand, as well as many of the UK's other well-known names, including airlines."
"It is recognition of the consistently high standards of value, punctuality and service we provide to business and leisure travellers alike, making journeys quicker, simpler and easier."
* Details about the selection process and ranking for the programme can be found through The Centre for Brand Analysis (http://www.tcba.co.uk) or http://www.www.superbrands.uk.com.
Notes to editors:
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. A return fare from London to Paris/Brussels costs from just £59. Travellers can also buy connecting fares to the Continent from 150 towns and cities across the UK, from only £71 return from Brighton to just £92 return from Edinburgh.
3. Under its Tread Lightly environmental plan, Eurostar has set a target of reducing CO2 emissions by 35% per traveller journey by 2012, compared with 2007. Because emissions cannot yet be eliminated, Eurostar is also the world's first train operator to make all journeys carbon neutral, at no extra cost to travellers. Based on comparisons of actual load factors and specific energy data, a Eurostar journey generates just one-tenth of the carbon dioxide of an equivalent flight.
4. Eurostar and Friends of the Earth are working together in the UK on Eurostar's Tread Lightly plan and Friends of the Earth's climate campaign. To find out more about Friends of the Earth visit www.friendsoftheearth.co.uk.
5. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, an alliance of Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
6. Eurostar is an entirely separate business from Eurotunnel. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle services and the Channel Tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
7. To book tickets or for more travel information, please visit www.eurostar.com or call 08705 186 186.
For more information contact:Eurostar Press OfficeEurostart: 0044 (0)20 7843 5500e: email@example.com