Join the Eurostar love trains!
12 Feb 2008
Eurostar, the high speed train operator that links UK with mainland Europe, will this week welcome thousands of love birds making passionate escapes to the Continent.
More and more couples are choosing Eurostar for their romantic getaways and this year, approximately 140,000 travellers will take the train for a romantic Valentines weekend away. And you could be one of them!
Why not treat yourself and your lover to a trip to Paris? You could start your own Parisian adventure from St Pancras International, Eurostar's stunning new London home. Whether you want to sip bubbly at Europe's longest champagne bar, which runs for 97 metres right alongside the new Eurostar platforms, or surprise your loved one at The Meeting Place, a 9 metre statue featuring a couple locked in a loving embrace, Eurostar brings romance from the very start of your journey. You could then speed up at 186mph to Paris and reach the heart of the most romantic city in the world in just 2h 15 minutes.
Brussels is also a great option for a romantic break and is even closer at only 1h 51 minutes from St Pancras International. Why not try one of the city's numerous Michelin-starred restaurants? Alternatively, if you really can't wait to get intimate with your loved one, Lille is a mere 1h 20 minutes with Eurostar. You could pick up sweets to savour with your Valentine from Meert's, the oldest patisserie in France.
Fancy travelling beyond Paris and Brussels? Over a 100 destinations throughout France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany are available with Eurostar connections with a simple change in Paris, Brussels or Lille onto a connecting train service. You could be declaring your love on the fabled Pont d'Avignon, exploring the waterways of Bruges – the Venice of the North, lighting your fire with a walk through the Red Light District of Amsterdam or being inspired by the soaring spires of Cologne's Dom – Germany's largest cathedral.
If you want to prove your love all year round you could buy your love some Eurostar vouchers. Available in a range of price from as little as £1 to £50, they come in paper or online form and are available for all Eurostar journeys originating in the UK.
For more information, to book Eurostar tickets or purchase Eurostar gift vouchers visit www.eurostar.com or call 08705 186 186.
Notes to Editors:
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Ebbsfleet International is the new station for South and East of England, and will in due course be home of the Ebbsfleet landmark. It's a few minutes' drive from junction 2 of the M25 and has 2,500 parking spaces, taxi and Avis car hire facilities. Eurostar travellers using public transport enjoy free travel on connecting Southeastern train services and Fastrack buses.
3. Travellers in southern England also have the choice of Ashford International station, which provides three services a day to Paris, a daily service to Disneyland Resort Paris and seasonal weekly services to the French Alps and Avignon.
4. Independent research has shown that a Eurostar journey between London and Paris / Brussels generates one-tenth of the carbon dioxide produced by an equivalent flight. Under its 'Tread Lightly' initiative, Eurostar has set a target of further reducing its CO2 emissions by 25% per traveller journey by 2012. Eurostar is the world's first train operator to make all journeys carbon neutral.
5. Eurostar and Friends of the Earth are official partners in Britain, and collaborate on the development of Eurostar's 'Tread Lightly' initiative, and Friends of the Earth's 'The Big Ask' campaign.
6. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
7. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates a vehicle shuttle service and the Channel tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
8. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186 186 or contact your travel agent.
For more information:Eurostar Press Office+44 (0)20 7922 email@example.com