Eurostar's Ebbsfleet International drive-in cinema a great success
29 Aug 2008
--Over 1200 attendees--Event key to putting new Kent station on the map
Eurostar, the high-speed rail operator that links the UK to the Continent, is delighted to announce the success of the specially drive-in cinema that took place at Ebbsfleet International over the bank holiday weekend (23-24 August). The station strategically located just off Junction 2 of the M25 near Bluewater and the Dartford Crossing.
Tickets to the drive-in were distributed via local radio stations and Eurostar's Bluewater shop. It was a resounding success with over 1500 film fans enjoying the movie blockbusters, 'The Bourne Ultimatum' and 'Moulin Rouge'. Prior to the screenings jugglers, mime artists and caricature artists kept the crowds entertained whilst attendees also enjoyed French crepes, burgers, popcorn, candy floss and ice cream.
All attendees also received a goody bag containing, amongst other items, a Eurostar voucher enabling two people to travel from Ebbsfleet International to Paris, Brussels or Lille for just £90 return.
Simon Montague, Communications Director, Eurostar, said: "The drive-in cinema at Ebbsfleet International was a great success. Events like this are crucial to putting Ebbsfleet International firmly on the map by increasing awareness amongst travellers. Everyone who attended will know just how easy it is to access Ebbsfleet International in comparison to London's congested airports. We are confident we delivered the message drive and train rather than drive and fly!"
Ebbsfleet International station offers fast, seamless travel from South East England to Europe's big cities, and is part of the future Ebbsfleet Valley development. Eurostar is also a founding partner of the Ebbsfleet Landmark Project. In addition, the high-speed train operator is the sponsor of Ebbsfleet United Football Club.
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar now has through fares deals with First Great Western, National Express East Anglia, First Capital Connect, Virgin Trains, National Express East Coast, East Midlands Trains, London Midland, Chiltern Railways and Hull Trains.
3. Ebbsfleet International in north Kent is close to junction 2 of the M25 and Bluewater shopping centre, and lies at the heart of a catchment of 10 million people. It offers seven trains a day to Paris and five a day to Brussels, with ample parking and taxi and Avis car hire facilities. Eurostar travellers can also connect with the station for free on Southeastern train services and Fastrack buses.
4. Ashford International in Kent provides three services a day to Paris, a daily service to Brussels (from 14 December 2008), a daily service to Disneyland Resort Paris, and seasonal weekly services to the French Alps and Avignon. The station provides ample parking and connects with domestic rail services.
5. Independent research has shown that a Eurostar journey between London and Paris generates one-tenth of the carbon dioxide produced by an equivalent flight. Under its Tread Lightly initiative, Eurostar has set a target of further reducing its CO2 emissions by 25% per traveller journey by 2012. Eurostar is the world's first train operator to make all journeys carbon neutral.
6. Eurostar and Friends of the Earth are working together in the UK on Eurostar's Tread Lightly initiative and The Big Ask, Friends of the Earth's climate campaign. To find out more about Friends of the Earth or The Big Ask please click here www.friendsoftheearth.co.uk
7. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
8. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates a vehicle shuttle service and the Channel tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
9. To book through fares via Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com or call 08705 186 186.
For more information and images:
Eurostar Press Office+44 (0) 207 843 firstname.lastname@example.org
For images please go to www.eurostarimagery.co.uk and register