Eurostar announces three year sponsorship of ebbsfleet united fc
8 Jun 2007
--Sponsorship deal highlights Ebbsfleet International, Eurostar's new station in Kent
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger train operator that links the UK with France and Belgium, today announced a three-year sponsorship deal with the Directors of Ebbsfleet United FC, formerly known as Gravesend & Northfleet FC.
The sponsorship agreement, one of the largest in non-League football, will see Eurostar partnering with The Fleet (the club's nickname) to put Ebbsfleet International station and the growing Ebbsfleet community on the national map. As part of the deal, Eurostar will also help the club with its new educational initiative Playing for Success.
Eurostar's new Ebbsfleet International station is strategically located just off Junction 2 of the M25, close to the Bluewater shopping complex and Gravesend and Northfleet in north Kent. When it opens on Monday 19 November, the station will be the fastest way to Europe with journey times of just 2h05 to Paris, 1h41 to Brussels and 1h10 to Lille.
Ebbsfleet International lies at the heart of a catchment of more than 10 million people across southern England and is closer to the M25 than any South East airport, including Stansted, Gatwick, Luton and Heathrow. It will enable millions of travellers to switch from plane to train and will also offer an attractive new alternative to Waterloo International for people living south of London.
Ebbsfleet United FC has a strong following among the local community and has enjoyed an impressive rise over the last four seasons, gaining promotion from the Ryman League to the Nationwide Conference. The team finished seventh in the table this year and aims to make even greater progress next season, in what is now called the Blue Square Premier.
As lead sponsors of Ebbsfleet United FC, Eurostar's logo will be included in kit branding, all marketing and promotional literature, advertising boards and announcements at the clubs Stonebridge Road stadium, as well as match tickets and corporate hospitality packages.
Supporters of The Fleet will benefit directly from Eurostar's sponsorship, with free travel tickets from Ebbsfleet International to Lille, Brussels or Paris to be offered in competitions that will run throughout next season.
Simon Montague, Communications Director of Eurostar, commented: "As new neighbours in north Kent, Eurostar wants to play a full part in the local community, providing both job opportunities and making a wider contribution. Sponsoring Ebbsfleet United FC is an excellent way for us to support local people and the local team, and to maximise our involvement in what will be an exciting new era for everyone in the Ebbsfleet area.
"We are delighted that Ebbsfleet United FC has recently been awarded the FA Community Club Charter Standard for developing for its youth and ladies sections and is presently working to providing educational facilities for underprivileged children".
Jason Botley, Club Chairman, commented: "This is great news for a club like Ebbsfleet United. To be working in partnership with one of the strongest brands in the UK and Europe is a privilege for us and really endorses the ambitions my fellow directors and I have for this club.
"Ebbsfleet is a key regeneration area and as more homes and businesses are built here, The Fleet will attract more and more participants in the club as well as new fans. Eurostar's sponsorship for the next three years gives us a solid base on which to build towards bigger and better goals!"
- ends -
EurostarEurostar is the high-speed train service linking London, Ebbsfleet (from 19 November 2007), Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Disneyland Resort Paris, Calais, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. On 14 November 2007, Eurostar will begin services from St Pancras International, with trains running at 186mph on the UK's first high-speed line, High Speed 1, from London to the Channel Tunnel. Journey times from St Pancras will be reduced by at least 20 minutes, with London-Paris in 2hrs 15mins, London-Brussels in 1hr 51mins and London-Lille in1hr 20mins.
3. Independent research has shown that a Eurostar journey between London and Paris / Brussels generates ten times less carbon dioxide than flying. Eurostar has announced a target of further cutting its carbon dioxide emissions by 25% per passenger journey by 2012.
4. Eurostar has been named "World's Leading Rail Service" at the World Travel Awards every year since 1998.
5. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar runs high-speed passenger services while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle trains and the Channel tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
6. To book tickets for Eurostar or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com , call 08705 186186, or contact your travel agent.
Ebbsfleet United FC
Ebbsfleet United FC, formerly Gravesend & Northfleet FC, changed its name on 1 May 2007.The club has served a loyal community fan base over the last 100 years, and Gravesend & Northfleet FC was established in 1946 when Northfleet United (formed in 1890) and Gravesend United (formed in 1893) amalgamated.The new name Ebbsfleet United FC keeps the club ahead of the game and reflects the exciting future growth of the Ebbsfleet community, which will be delivered through the massive Thames Gateway urban regeneration plans.
For more information on Eurostar:
Eurostar Press Office+44 (0)20 7922 email@example.com