Eurostar gets set for Christmas
19 Dec 2006
Eurostar gets set for Christmas
• Special onboard seasonal menu• Eurostar gift vouchers perfect present for travellers• Direct ski services to the French Alps return from 23 and 29 December• Eurostar takes travellers direct to Lille and Brussels for Christmas markets
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger train operator between the UK, France and Belgium, is gearing up its services for the Christmas holiday period and the return of its direct ski services to the French Alps.
The first day train of the weekly ski service to Bourg-St-Maurice for the 2006-2007 season departs from Waterloo and Ashford on Saturday 23 December, with the overnight service starting the following Friday, 29 December.
For Eurostar travellers making a quick getaway over the holidays or visiting friends and family on the Continent, the festivities begin onboard with a special Christmas menu. Passengers travelling between 21 December and 2 January in Leisure Select or Business Premier from London will be treated to a luxury roast turkey dinner with all the trimmings or salmon with a tarragon cream sauce, followed by a seasonal chocolate yule log.
And throughout the festive season, those looking for that perfect gift can travel on Eurostar direct to the hearts of Brussels and Lille for their renowned traditional Christmas markets, both packed with specialist craft and food stalls and offering plenty of Yuletide entertainment.
Boasting the largest Christmas market in northern France, Lille's visitors can explore the quaint wooden chalets for a variety of unusual handicrafts until December 27. Those travelling to peruse the stalls of around 150 exhibitors at Brussels' Place Sainte Catherine can pick up arts and jewellery gifts and of course Belgian chocolates, through to New Year's Day.
Alternately, a Eurostar journey itself makes the ideal present for people who like going places. Available in a range of denominations from £1 to £50, Eurostar gift vouchers come in paper or online form and are redeemable for all Eurostar journeys originating in the UK. For further information or to purchase visit www.eurostar.com or call 08705 186 186.
As in previous years, Eurostar will not operate on Christmas Day and will finish services earlier on Christmas and New Year's Eve.
On the 24 and 31 December the last Eurostar train to run from the UK to Paris is the 17h09 service from London, the 17h59 from Ashford. The last scheduled service to Brussels on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve will be the 16h39 from London, 17h29 from Ashford.
The last scheduled Brussels to London service on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve will be the 17h59.
The last scheduled Paris to London service on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve will be the 18h16. The train will however be departing 3 minutes earlier than scheduled on Christmas Eve due to essential Eurotunnel engineering works.
Eurostar's daily direct service from Disneyland Resort Paris to London via Ashford will not run on Christmas Eve.
On Boxing Day, a Sunday timetable will operate, with an additional afternoon service running on both the Paris-London and Brussels-London routes.
Between Boxing Day and New Year's Eve, first services from London, Paris and Brussels will depart slightly later. On New Year's Day a normal Sunday service will operate.
- ends -
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. On 14 November 2007, with the completion of the UK high-speed line to London St Pancras, journey times will be reduced still further. London to Paris will be 2hrs 15mins, London to Brussels will be 1hr 51mins and London to Lille 1hr 20mins.
3. Eurostar has won the title of "World's Leading Rail Service" for the last nine years at the World Travel Awards.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
5. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186 186 or contact your travel agent.
For more information:
Eurostar Press Office+44 (0)20 7922 email@example.com