Eurostar celebrates 10 years at Ashford International
9 Jan 2006
- Over 4 million travellers have used Eurostar to and from Kent
Eurostar, the high-speed train service that links the UK with France and Belgium, is today celebrating 10 years of service to and from Ashford International.
More than 2 million travellers have boarded the Eurostar, in each direction, using Ashford International for quick and convenient journeys to and from France, Belgium and beyond. Lille is just 55 minutes away; Brussels under 1h 40m away and Paris under 2 hours.
It was an historic day for Kent when Eurostar services began on 8 January 1996 and the terminal was officially opened on 28 February 1996, by HRH The Duke of Kent.
Eurostar will be celebrating the decade of service, and thanking the local community, at a special cake-cutting ceremony at Ashford International at 11.45am today.
Nick Mercer, Eurostar's Commercial Director, said: "This is a special celebration to mark a decade of Eurostar service in Ashford. We thank the local community and all of our travellers for being so supportive."
Eurostar, which currently has around 25 trains a day stopping at Ashford International, has contributed to a boost for the local economy. Hundreds of French businesses now operate in Kent and local property prices have benefited from having a high-speed rail link to and from the rest of Europe.
Ashford International can hold up to 800 travellers and has a car park with capacity for up to 2000 vehicles.
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar has been named "World's Leading Rail Service" at the World Travel Awards every year since 1998.
3. In 2007, Eurostar switches its entire operation from London's Waterloo International to the new hub at St. Pancras International.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
5. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com , call +44 (0)8705 186186 or contact your travel agent.
- ends -
For more information:
Eurostar Press Office+44 (0)20 7922 firstname.lastname@example.org