Book your Summer in Provence as Eurostar opens tickets sales for Avignon
4 Jan 2006
- Direct service runs 8 July – 9 September 2006
- New low fares from £99 return
Eurostar, the high-speed train service that links the UK, France and Belgium, today (4 January 2006) announced that tickets for its direct summer service to Avignon were now on sale. To mark the Avignon service's fifth birthday, Eurostar has reduced the standard class fare to start from just £99 return.
The 2006 service begins on Saturday 8 July and will run weekly every Saturday through to Saturday 9 September.
The journey from London Waterloo or Ashford International takes six hours (50 minutes less from Ashford) and delivers you to Avignon Centre station – opposite the city walls which surround the heart of the historic city.
Visitors to Avignon, which sits on the banks of the River Rhône, can visit the stunning 14th Century Palais des Papes - Popes' Palace, Pont d'Avignon - the famous ruined bridge, or, simply wander the medieval streets taking in the splendour of the city's architecture. Car hire is available (via eurostar.com or the Eurostar Contact Centre on 08705 186 186) for those who want to venture further afield and explore the country lanes, lavender fields and picturesque villages of Provence.
Avignon, and over 60 other French towns and cities, are accessible all year round with Eurostar Connections - combining a Eurostar journey to Paris or Lille and an onward journey by a French TGV service.
Check-in:The recommended check-in time for the direct Avignon services is 60 minutes prior to departure of the Eurostar.
Timetable:Outbound: Waterloo: 07.09; Ashford: 08.02 – Avignon Centre: 14.12Inbound: Avignon Centre: 16.30 – Ashford: 20.35; Waterloo: 21.30
Avignon Train Stations:Avignon Centre Station is the city station and is distinct from Avignon TGV, which is on the TGV Med high-speed line. A shuttle bus operates between the two stations, which runs about every 20 minutes and takes approximately 10 minutes.
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. In 2007, with the completion of the UK high-speed line to London St Pancras, journey times will be reduced still further. London to Paris will be 2hrs 15mins, London to Brussels will be 1hr 51mins and London to Lille 1hr 20mins.
3. Eurostar was named "Train Operator of the Year" at the 2005 HSBC Rail Awards, "World's Leading Rail Service" every year since 1998 at the World Travel Awards and "Best Worldwide Rail Operator" at the 2005 Buying Business Travel Awards.
5. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
6. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186 186 or contact your travel agent.
For more information:
Eurostar Press Office, +44 (0) 20 7922 4494, email@example.com