Eurostar counts down to start of direct ski services to the French Alps
7 Nov 2005
- New interactive website live on www.eurostar.com/ski
- 4,500 extra seats to meet demand over February half-term holiday
- Celebrate the New Year on the overnight service from the Alps
- Winner of "Best Snowsport Transportation" Snow Awards 2005
Eurostar the fast passenger train operator which links the UK with France and Belgium, has launched a new interactive micro-site for ski aficionados who want to check out what's happening in the resorts - www.eurostar.com/ski.
Last season's micro-site achieved well over 100,000 visits in just four months. The new site has been revamped to be still easier and fun to use. It provides plenty of valuable information to enable skiers and snowboarders to maximise their holidays.
The new site covers three main areas:
- The Eurostar experience, which starts when travellers arrive at Waterloo or Ashford International Terminals. New 360º footage shows the fun onboard – where people can relax and socialise with like-minded skiers.
- A weather tool which is up-dated 10 times a day and can be downloaded and customised so that travellers have a personalised countdown to their holiday.
- An interactive section whereby skiers can post useful tips and comments to give help and advice to other skiers.
The popularity of Eurostar's direct ski services to the French Alps continues to grow and an extra 4,500 seats are available this season to meet the high demand. The service was also the winner of the "Best Snowsport Transportation" award at the recent, 2005 Snow Awards.
This season's service starts on Christmas Eve from London/Ashford to the stations of Moutiers, Aime la Plagne and Bourg St Maurice located high in the French Alps. It is then only a short shuttle bus service to the resorts of Courchevel, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Meribel and Tignes.
Eurostar's core direct services are the weekly night service which departs on a Friday arriving in the Alps the next morning and the weekly day service departs on a Saturday. The night service offers the benefit of two extra days on the piste while on the day service, passengers can enjoy scenic views as the countryside changes in spectacular fashion during the journey.
There's a great opportunity for skiers this year to return on the overnight service from the resorts on New Years Eve and arrive back into the UK on New Year's Day! So travellers will be able to enjoy celebrating onboard Eurostar as the train makes it way from the Alps. Eurostar will laying on extra special treats for travellers on this service.
Eurostar's Director of Communications, Paul Charles, commented: "This ski season is set to be a record for Eurostar. We will be carrying more skiers on the direct services and bookings are already up on the alternative method of travelling by Eurostar and connecting at Lille or Paris onto TGV or other domestic train services. Winning the Snow Awards 'Best Snowsport Transportation' is proof of how widely, people are recognising that rail travel to the Alps is a complete no-brainer."
- ends -
1. More information about the Snow Awards can be found on www.snowawards.co.uk.
2. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
3. In 2007, with the completion of the UK high speed line to London St Pancras, journey times will be reduced still further. London to Paris will be 2hrs15mins, London to Brussels will be 1hr51mins and London to Lille 1hr20mins.
4. Eurostar was named "Train Operator of the Year" at the National Rail Awards 2004; "World's Leading Rail Service" in the 2003 and 2004 World Travel Awards; "Best Rail Network" at the Business Travel World Awards 2004 and "Best Rail Operator" at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards 2004.
5. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
6. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186 186 or contact your travel agent.
For more information:Eurostar Press Office+44 (0) 20 7922 email@example.com