European short breaks more popular than ever this Bank Holiday weekend, says Eurostar
28 Apr 2005
- Over 150,000 customers travelling – a record
- 5 Extra trains operating
- 24% annual increase in number of passengers making onward connections
Eurostar, the fast passenger train service linking the UK with France and Belgium, will carry a record number of passengers this May Bank Holiday weekend. Over 150,000 people are expected to travel.
Strong demand means that Eurostar is laying on five extra trains, providing an additional 3,750 seats. Passengers are not just heading to Eurostar's core destinations of Paris, Brussels, Lille and Disneyland Resort Paris but further afield. More passengers than ever are using Eurostar and connecting TGV, Thalys, ICE or other train services. These onward connection destinations are proving very popular with passenger numbers up 24% on the same weekend last year.
Destinations in France such as Lyon, Avignon, Bordeaux, Marseille and Tours; in Belgium such as Bruges, Antwerp and Gent; in the Netherlands such as Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Maastricht and the new German destinations of Cologne and Aachen are all being snapped up.
Eurostar's Communications Director, Paul Charles, commented: "This is another bumper Bank Holiday weekend. It shows how many people are finding Eurostar travel to continental destinations such an easy and comfortable option, rather then slogging to airports where passengers face lengthy check-in times and out-of-city locations. Good value fares and the ease of travel by Eurostar are attracting more passengers than ever."
Notes to Editors:
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar was named "Train Operator of the Year" at the National Rail Awards 2004; "World's Leading Rail Service" in the 2003 and 2004 World Travel Awards; "Best Rail Network" at the Business Travel World Awards 2004 and "Best Rail Operator" at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards 2004.
3. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
4. To book tickets for other Eurostar destinations, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186186, in person at Waterloo or Ashford International Terminals or contact your travel agent.
For more information on Eurostar: Eurostar Press Office, +44 (0) 20 7922 4494, firstname.lastname@example.org or check Eurostar in the Uk