Eurostar adds extra trains for August bank holiday weekend due to huge demand
9 Aug 2004
Eurostar, the high-speed train service that carries passengers between the UK, France and Belgium, is laying on eight extra trains to meet high demand for travel over the August bank holiday period.
The eight trains will provide an additional 6,000 seats for travel to and from the Continent and will run from Friday 27 August to Tuesday 31 August 2004.Eurostar's return fares to Paris and Brussels start from just £59 return. Tickets are available from www.eurostar.com or 08705 186 186.
The extra trains are in addition to Eurostar's regular service of up to 16 daily services to Paris, up to nine to Brussels and the daily direct service to Disneyland Resort Paris. The direct service to Avignon in Provence also continues to run on Saturdays throughout August.
Paul Charles, Eurostar's Director of Communications, said: "We have seen very high demand for our services throughout the summer and therefore took the decision to lay on extra trains over what we expect to be the busiest weekend of the year.""The extra trains are ideal for those looking to book a short break or a day trip to Paris or Brussels. Don't forget all our tickets to Brussels are also valid for travel to and from any station in Belgium at no extra cost."
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar services are up to 40 minutes faster for return journeys, as the Channel Tunnel Rail Link enables trains to run at speeds of up to 186mph (300 km/h).
3. Eurostar was named "World's Leading Rail Service" in the 2003 World Travel Awards; "Best Rail Network" at the Business Travel World Awards 2004 and "Best Rail Operator" at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards 2004.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
5. As part of its sponsorship of the Entente Cordiale centenary, Eurostar has introduced a school educational fare which applies to those aged 11-21 and in a minimum group size of ten people. The maximum group size is 99. The offer applies for travel on any day except Friday and Sunday. Travel is until 20th December 2004.
6. More information about Eurostar can be found at www.eurostar.com