Chic and comfortable - the new interior look on Eurostar
7 Sep 2004
- Fresh new look for Eurostar fleet of 27 trains
- Power sockets onboard for the first time – UK and continental plugs
- Extra comfort in first class with wider headrests and snooze-friendly pillows
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger train service that links the UK with France and Belgium, today unveiled its new chic train interiors – offering even more comfort for all passengers. All 27 trains in the Eurostar fleet are being completely refurbished over the next 12 months. The first train to feature the new look was the 08h13 Brussels-London service this morning.
In first class, the emphasis has been on creating the perfect environment for today's business traveller – an extension of the office with plenty of room for working. All first class carriages include new-style seats with pushbutton reclining mechanism, new tables and table lights, power sockets for laptops or mobile phones and new snooze-friendly pillows, enabling passengers to simply relax in their own time.
Paul Charles, Director of Communications, Eurostar, commented: "For business travellers, Eurostar is the office on the move. You can work with plenty of space around you, charge your laptop, and use your time on board as productively as possible. Our refurbished trains combine that ease of working with real comfort."
The two bar buffet cars on each Eurostar train have been refreshed with wood-style panelling, new flooring, and new bar counter and table tops. All toilets have been changed, sporting a new silver design.
In standard class, the main changes include more comfortable seating, new carpets, leather anti-macassars, and extra luggage space because of the removal of some seats. Each train now has 750 seats. Two standard class carriages also have power sockets installed.
Paul Charles added : "Eurostar has designed its interiors to emphasise freedom when travelling. You can relax, or walk around, or work when you want to – there are no restrictions such as seatbelt signs or being told to sit down because the pilot has encountered turbulence."
The refurbishment work is being carried out at the SNCF's new state of the art workshop in Hellemmes near Lille. An in-house design team, comprising Eurostar and SNCF experts, has been working on the project for three years.
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar services are up to 40 minutes faster for return journeys, as the Channel Tunnel Rail Link enables trains to run at speeds of up to 186mph (300 km/h).
3. Eurostar was named "Train Operator of the Year" at the National Rail Awards 2004; "World's Leading Rail Service" in the 2003 World Travel Awards; "Best Rail Network" at the Business Travel World Awards 2004 and "Best Rail Operator" at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards 2004.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
For more information:Eurostar Press Office+44 (0)20 7922 firstname.lastname@example.org