100% punctuality so far for Eurostar
28 Aug 2004
- RMT strike has no impact on passengers or service
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger train that links the UK with France and Belgium, today said the strike action by the RMT union was having no effect on passengers or services.
As of 12 Midday (London time), Eurostar had recorded 100% punctuality on its departures out of Waterloo and Ashford International stations, with all trains leaving on time.
Eurostar is carrying 30,000 passengers today, and 140,000 over the Bank Holiday period - the busiest weekend of the year so far for Eurostar.
Paul Charles, Director of Communications, Eurostar commented: "It's business as usual - with a 100% performance so far out of Waterloo and Ashford International stations. Our staff are ensuring passengers get their bank holiday off to a great start, despite attempts by the RMT to cause disruption. Fewer than expected RMT members are supporting the action."
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar was named "World's Leading Rail Service" in the 2003 World Travel Awards; "Best Rail Network" at the Business Travel World Awards 2004 and "Best Rail Operator" at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards 2004.
3. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
4. As part of its sponsorship of the Entente Cordiale centenary, Eurostar has introduced a school educational fare which applies to those aged 11-21 and in a minimum group size of ten people. The maximum group size is 99. The offer applies for travel on any day except Friday and Sunday. Travel is until 20th December 2004.
5. More information about Eurostar can be found at www.eurostar.com or via the Contact Centre to 08705 186 186.