Seb Coe and Eurostar will today welcome European Olympic fans to London to mark ‘One year to Go’ to London 2012
Seb Coe will today join Eurostar in welcoming hundreds of European Olympic fans and athletes to London today to mark 'One year to Go' to the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Socks will be off and trousers rolled up as Seb Coe, Colin Jackson and other athletes and Olympic fans from the UK and Europe, have their foot prints cast in clay at St Pancras International, to mark the first steps on the way to the London 2012 Games.
Over the last few months, thousands of Olympic fans from across the UK and Europe have entered competitions to win the chance to be part of Eurostar's 'One year to Go' celebrations. The 200 lucky winners travelled today from as far afield as, Marseille and Edinburgh to London St Pancras as the 'One year to Go' celebrations kicked off.
Sebastian Coe, Chair of the London 2012 Organising Committee, comments; "With less than a year to go until the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games, anticipation is building across the UK and the whole of Europe. This is evident today with real excitement in the air at St Pancras International, as the first Olympic spectators come together to mark 'One year to Go'."
Nick Mercer, Commercial Director for Eurostar, comments; "After a gap of more than sixty years, the Olympic Games are back in the UK, and judging from the 'One year to Go' celebrations Europe is gearing up for a big party.
"It's never been so easy for Olympic fans across Europe to get to the Games. With the growth of the European high-speed rail network and environmental concerns increasingly top of mind, we're expecting to carry hundreds of thousands of fans to London during the Olympics."
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger train service that links the UK with the continent, is the Official International Rail Service Provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Next year, Eurostar will carry Olympic fans from the continent to London to soak up the atmosphere of the Games.
Tickets for Eurostar services during the Games are open for sale and Eurostar is one of the first signatories of the 2012 London Visitor Fair Pricing and Practice Charter, which requires companies to be fair and transparent about their pricing.
For more information about Eurostar or to book Eurostar tickets or purchase Eurostar gift vouchers visit www.eurostar.com or call 03448 224 777.
Note to editors:
Photography from the event will be distributed by Getty ImagesTo access live feeds from TVC, see below for satellite details and feed times:
0945 – 1145 GMT
Intelsat 10-02 9Mhz
TXP: 65 – Dig 13
UL: 14272.5 H
DL: 11472.5 V
Line at Tower: Telenor F7
IFB:- 07818 643737 & 07971 194827
To download rights free, broadcast footage from Eurostar's 'One year to Go' celebrations please visit the Digital News Agency:
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar was established in 1994 as a partnership between three railway companies: SNCF, SNCB and LCR (London and Continental Railways). On 1 September 2010, Eurostar became a single, unified corporate entity owned by three shareholders: SNCF, SNCB and LCR.
3. The current Eurostar train was first introduced into service in 1994 carrying 750 passengers and operating at speeds of up to 300kph. Since then, the fleet of 28 trains has carried more than 115 million passengers between London and the Continent. Following their refurbishment these trains will continue to form a core part of the Eurostar fleet.
4. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
5. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle services and the Channel Tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500