Eurostar gets on ‘its marks’ to launch its first pan-European advertising campaign ahead of the London 2012 Games
9 Sep 2011
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger service linking London and mainland Europe is set to launch its first pan-European advertising campaign on the 1 October. The new London 2012 focused advertisements will mark the first time that Eurostar has shown the same TV advertisement in the UK, France and Belgian.
The campaign, created by Paris-based agency Leg, will focus on the important role Eurostar will play in carrying thousands of Olympic fans from the continent to London to see the 2012 Games in action. The advertisement will introduce its new strapline 'Opening the Way' to illustrate the pioneering spirit Eurostar has demonstrated since its launch in 1994, as well as the important part Eurostar plays in bringing different cultures, places and people together.
British musician, Jarvis Cocker, the French film director, Michel Gondry, and the Belgian popstar, Arno Hintjens all appear in the ad sharing their creative ideas as the combination of talent brainstorms to try and co-create something magical.
Emma Harris, Sales and Marketing Director for Eurostar says: "This new advertising campaign represents a change of direction for Eurostar. In the past our brand has been positioned differently in our different markets, but going forward our brand personality will be consistent wherever our customers interact with us.
"Eurostar has always connected people, cultures and places and our new strapline 'Opening the Way' has been designed to underscore this. People now think nothing of shopping in Paris for the day or lunching in Lille as they see Europe as closer than ever before.
"The London 2012 is the perfect platform from which to launch this new positioning. Because of Eurostar, 80 million fans from across Europe have sustainable access the games and we expect a huge proportion of travellers from as far as Holland, Germany and Switzerland to be choosing high speed rail to get to London. Our role as an enabler to what will be an amazing merging of nationalities and cultures during the games perfectly reflects the meaning behind 'Opening the Way'"
Eurostar introduced a new visual identity earlier in the year marking the beginning of a new chapter for the business and its ambitions to expand its reach, carrying more passengers from Germany and the Netherlands as well as across the UK, regional France and Belgium. Deregulation of the European market for international rail travel heralds a period of innovation with new entrants offering competing services and greater choice for consumers.
For more information about Eurostar visit www.eurostar.com or call 03448 224 777.
Note to editors:
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps
2. Eurostar was established in 1994 as a partnership between three railway companies: SNCF, SNCB and LCR (London and Continental Railways). On 1 September 2010, Eurostar became a single, unified corporate entity owned by three shareholders: SNCF, SNCB and LCR.
3. The current Eurostar train was first introduced into service in 1994 carrying 750 passengers and operating at speeds of up to 300kph. Since then, the fleet of 28 trains has carried more than 115 million passengers between London and the Continent. Following their refurbishment these trains will continue to form a core part of the Eurostar fleet.
4. Eurostar is the Official International Rail Service Provider for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in the UK
5. The Eurostar Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel
- Since 2001 the Ashden awards have been supporting sustainability projects across the globe and now they're working with Eurostar to promote sustainable travel
- As part of the Tread Lightly programme to cut carbon and get people thinking differently about their journeys, Eurostar has launched the Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel
- With a prize fund and a host of benefits, the Eurostar Ashden Award for Sustainable Travel will celebrate and support local sustainable travel projects in the UK, France and Belgium
6. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500