Eurostar supports the FIFA England 2018 World Cup bid
27 May 2010
Eurostar Official Supporter for the bid
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger service which links the UK with the continent has officially signed as a Tier 2 partner in support of the bid for the FIFA 2018 England bid.
The latest tie-up with another major sporting initiative follows the announcement by LOCOG for Eurostar as a Tier 3 sponsor and the International Rail Services Provider for London 2012.
Eurostar is well used to carrying teams and supporters for football, rugby and other major supporting events. It is a natural partner as it operates around 50 trains daily between the UK and the continent.
England 2018 Bid's CEO, Andy Anson, said "The fact that England is easy to get to and easy to get around is an important selling point of our bid. Eurostar is a fitting example of our world-class transport system and we are delighted to be working with them for the remainder of this campaign."
Eurostar's Commercial Director, Nick Mercer, commented: "With London directly linked to the European high-speed network it is a complete no-brainer that Eurostar should become a partner in FIFA's England 2018 bid. Eurostar excels at carrying large numbers of people city centre to city centre. Access to the candidate host cities by rail is easy from St Pancras International being next door to King's Cross and with main London stations linked by underground. Eurostar is also able to respond quickly to demand and run extra services or indeed special charters."
Note to editors:
1. Eurostar has also extended its sponsorship of Ebbsfleet United FC for the fourth consecutive year. The club is situated close to Ebbsfleet International station in north Kent just off the M25 and close to Bluewater.
2. As part of its London 2012 activation activity, Eurostar will be hosting a unique Tri-City-Athlon on 14 September – swimming in Paris, biking in Brussels and running in London – all linked by Eurostar and to be completed in one day.
3. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed network.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates vehicle shuttle services and the Channel Tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
5. For travel information, please visit www.eurostar.com or call our contact centre on 03448 224 777.
For more information contact:
Eurostar Press Office
t:0044 (0)20 7843 5500