Eurostar gets set for record first Easter at St Pancras International
20 Mar 2008
--Record 160,000 travellers use Eurostar for first Easter at gloriously restored London station--Demand up 20% on previous record--Three extra Eurostar services to meet extra demand
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger train service linking the UK to mainland Europe, is gearing up for its busiest ever Easter as record numbers of travellers use high-speed rail to reach Paris, Brussels and beyond.
The launch of services on High Speed 1, the UK's first 186mph line, and the opening of the magnificently restored St Pancras International have led to a large growth in the number of travellers using Eurostar. Over the Easter period Eurostar will carry a record 160,000 travellers, an increase of over 20% on the previous year.
To meet the extra demand Eurostar have laid on three extra services totalling 2250 seats - the equivalent of over fifteen 737s. Details of the extra trains are as follows:
Thursday 20 March:St Pancras International to Paris Gare du Nord at 14:32 (arriving 17:47)Paris Gare du Nord to St Pancras International at 14:43 (arriving 15:59)
Friday 21 March:Paris Gare du Nord to St Pancras International at 14:43 (arriving 15:59)
Travellers can take advantage of the excellent domestic rail connections with St Pancras International as Eurostar offers through-fares from 68 towns and cities across the UK. These through-fares start from £67 return and mean that travellers enjoy an even easier and more seamless travelling experience.
Simon Montague, Director of Communications, Eurostar, said: "We're really pleased that our fabulous new station, the UK's first 186mph line and journeys of roundly two hours to the centre of Brussels and Paris are attracting record numbers of passengers. Since Eurostar moved to St Pancras International, more and more people are realising Eurostar is easier, quicker and greener than flying."
Notes to Editors:
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking St Pancras International, Ebbsfleet International, Ashford International, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris, Avignon and the French Alps.
2. Ebbsfleet International is a few minutes' drive from junction 2 of the M25 and has 2,500 parking spaces, taxi and Avis car hire facilities. Eurostar travellers using public transport enjoy free travel on connecting Southeastern train services and Fastrack buses.
3. Travellers in southern England also have the choice of Ashford International station, which provides three services a day to Paris, a daily service to Disneyland Resort Paris and seasonal weekly services to the French Alps and Avignon. The station provides ample parking and connects with domestic rail services.
4. Independent research has shown that a Eurostar journey between London and Paris generates one-tenth of the carbon dioxide produced by an equivalent flight. Under its 'Tread Lightly' initiative, Eurostar has set a target of further reducing its CO2 emissions by 25% per traveller journey by 2012. Eurostar is the world's first train operator to make all journeys carbon neutral.
5. Eurostar and Friends of the Earth are working together on Eurostar's Tread Lightly initiative and The Big Ask, Friends of the Earth's climate campaign. Friends of the Earth is advising Eurostar on ways to further reduce its impact on the environment and Eurostar is helping Friends of the Earth to build support for a really strong climate change law. To find out more about Friends of the Earth or The Big Ask please click here www.friendsoftheearth.co.uk
6. Eurostar is a founder member of Railteam, a partnership between Europe's leading high-speed train operators that is developing simpler ways to book and travel on the fast-expanding, European high-speed rail network.
7. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are entirely separate companies. Eurostar operates high-speed passenger trains, while Eurotunnel operates a vehicle shuttle service and the Channel tunnel itself. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's biggest customer.
8. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186 186 or contact your travel agent.
For more information:Eurostar Press Office+44 (0) 207 843 firstname.lastname@example.org