Eurostar sets new punctuality record
14 May 2007
--98.5% of trains on time or early--100% of trains on time or early on three days
Eurostar, the high-speed train operator linking the UK with the Continent, last week recorded its best ever punctuality performance since services started in November 1994.
98.5% of scheduled trains arrived on time or early between Monday 7 May and Sunday 13 May. On Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 100% of trains arrived on time or early – a fantastic achievement. This is the latest highlight in Eurostar's already outstanding punctuality record. In 2006 91.5% of Eurostar services arrived on time or early – up from 86.3% in 2005.
These punctuality figures easily outstrip those of the airlines operating on the London-Paris and London-Brussels routes.
On November 14 this year Eurostar will launch services from its brand new central London station, St Pancras International. The overnight move from Waterloo International to St Pancras International will allow Eurostar travellers to travel between the UK and the Continent even more quickly and opens up Eurostar to millions of new potential travellers living in towns and cities to the north of London.
Simon Montague, Eurostar Director of Communications, said: "This punctuality record is a fantastic achievement for Eurostar's staff in the UK, France and Belgium.
"Punctuality is a key factor for travellers when they make their travel choices. It is no wonder that increasing numbers of business travellers are switching from short-haul airlines to high-speed rail."
- ends -
1. Eurostar is the high-speed train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. On 14 November 2007, Eurostar's London terminal will switch from Waterloo International to St. Pancras International. Journey times will reduce by at least 20 minutes, with London-Paris down to 2h 15m, London-Brussels in 1h 51m and London-Lille in just 1h20m.
3. In November, Eurostar will also launch services from Ebbsfleet International, a new UK station near junction 2 of the M25 motorway, close to the Dartford Crossing, with journey times that are ten minutes less than from St Pancras International.
4. Eurostar has won the title of "World's Leading Rail Service" for the last nine years at the World Travel Awards.
5. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
6. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com , call 08705 186186 or contact your travel agent.
For more information:
Eurostar Press Office+44 (0)20 7922 email@example.com