Eurostar to carry the world's rugby fans to France
7 Sep 2006
-- EUROSTAR OFFICIAL PARTNER OF RUGBY WORLD CUP 2007
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger train that links the UK with France and Belgium, is set to carry many thousands of fans to see the leading rugby nations play in the Rugby World Cup 2007 in France.
With exactly one year to go to the start of the tournament, Eurostar today announced that it has become an Official Partner of the Rugby World Cup 2007. The partnership has been made possible thanks to the SNCF Group, Official Partner of the Rugby World Cup and a major shareholder in Eurostar.
The Rugby World Cup will take place in September and October 2007, with the vast majority of games to be played at venues across France.
Eurostar expects to carry huge numbers of fans wanting to watch the Home Nations, and equally big contingents from the many large expatriate communities living in London - among them Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans crossing the Channel to support their team.
Eurostar will link up with SNCF (French Railways) to provide rail connections to games throughout France.
England's group matches are all easily accessible by train. The team will kick off its defence of the William Webb Ellis Cup in Lens in northern France on 8 September 2007. Lens is just a short, local train ride from Eurostar's station at Lille which is just 1 hour 40 minutes from London.
The magnificent Stade de France in Paris will host England's clash with South Africa on 14 September. The stadium is just one train stop from the Eurostar terminal at Gare du Nord.
Nantes, in the Loire region, is the venue for England's match against Samoa on 22 September and is easily reached by rail from London in just under six hours via a simple change of train in Paris.
Eurostar is also the easiest way to reach England's final group game at Parc des Princes, also in Paris, on 28 September.
Simon Montague, Director of Communications, Eurostar, said: "This partnership is great news for rugby fans. Eurostar's high-speed services are the easiest way to travel from the UK to France.
"As Official Partner, we're looking forward to carrying thousands of supporters from England and across the globe as they travel to France to support their teams."
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar has won the title of "World's Leading Rail Service" for the last eight years at the World Travel Awards.
3. In autumn 2007, with the completion of the UK high-speed line between London St Pancras and the Channel Tunnel, journey times will be reduced still further. London to Paris will be 2hrs 15mins, London to Brussels will be 1hr 51mins and London to Lille 1hr 20mins.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
5. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186186 or contact your travel agent.
- Ends -
For more information:
Eurostar Press Office+44 (0)20 7922 email@example.com