Belgium comes alive with new Eurostar website
- Fares to any Belgian Station from just £59 return
- Brussels is closer to London than Paris
Did you know there is no other country in Europe with as many street and music festivals all year round as Belgium?
Eurostar today, firmly kicked into touch any "Belgium is boring" critique as it launched Europe's "best kept secret" a unique interactive micro-site which celebrates just some of what this special country has to offer!
The new site www.eurostar.com/bestkeptsecret provides great tips and insider information to get visitors to understand the eclectic culture and wealth of hidden gems the country has to offer. Cities such as Brussels, Bruges and Antwerp are brought to life. Apart from a huge number of attractions and sights there are a whole host of undiscovered secrets such as antique shops, bustling markets and funky bars.
There is so much of Belgium to be explored and interesting facts to uncover such as:
- Belgian, John Joseph Merlin was the first person to invent the roller skate in the 1760's.
- Belgian, Adolphe Sax invented the saxophone.
- The Bank of England was founded by Belgian, John Houblon – his portrait is found on the £50 note.
- The world's most translated works, after the bible, are the books of Belgian, Georges Simenon, of Inspector Maigret fame
Eurostar's new, quirky micro-site takes you through a series of fun questions to dig into the tastes of the individual user, creating an interactive character profile for them. It will then tailor exciting itineraries to perfectly suit that person. Guaranteed enjoyment!
Eurostar's has invested in this site to get British people to understand that Belgium is not a poor relation to France it is a lively cosmopolitan country a "gem" just waiting to be discovered. With the fastest journey times from London to Brussels Midi of only 2hrs 15mins (an hour less from Ashford, in Kent) and easy connections at the station to other parts of Belgium it is an easy day trip or short break.Brussels's Minister for Tourism, Madame Evelyne Huytebroeck, commented: "We are delighted Eurostar has launched this initiative and fully support it. Brussels is the Gateway to the whole of Belgium and London is closer to Brussels than any of Europe's other capitals, bar Cardiff. We want more British people to discover what's right on their doorstep.
Brussels has many undiscovered treasures, including an exceptional and surprising cultural portfolio. Fine museums as you would expect as the capital of Europe, a diversified Art Nouveau heritage and a unique tradition of the comic strip culture. The city boasts an unexpected number of parks and gardens and wonderful gastronomy from the traditional to the original".
Eurostar's Director of Communications, Paul Charles: "Belgium definitely is Europe's best kept secret and we believe this micro-site will help travellers appreciate all it has to offer. With fares to any Belgian station from just £59 return and with number of services from London to Brussels increasing to 10 a day in February 2006, Eurostar is the natural choice for people living in the South. In 2007, with the completion of the UK high-speed line to St Pancras, Brussels will be only 1hr 51mins from London."
The micro-site is designed by glue. The intention is to develop this site to incorporate other Belgium cities.
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. In 2007, with the completion of the UK high-speed line to London St Pancras, journey times will be reduced still further. London to Paris will be 2hrs 15mins, London to Brussels will be 1hr 51mins and London to Lille 1hr 20mins.
3. Eurostar was named "Train Operator of the Year" at the 2005 HSBC Rail Awards, "World's Leading Rail Service" every year since 1998 at the World Travel Awards and "Best Worldwide Rail Operator" at the 2005 Buying Business Travel Awards.
5. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two entirely different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
6. To book tickets for Eurostar, or to find out more information, go to www.eurostar.com, call 08705 186 186 or contact your travel agent.
For more information:
Eurostar Press Office, +44 (0) 20 7922 4494, firstname.lastname@example.org