From the United Kingdom to the Magic Kingdom
6 Mar 2004
Mickey Mouse unveils magical Eurostar to Disneyland Resort Paris
Mickey Mouse and friends today visited Waterloo International to unveil a special Disney-themed Eurostar. The colourful Eurostar - liveried with Disney characters - embarked on its inaugural, non-stop journey to the gates of Disneyland Resort Paris filled with over 700 specially invited guests.
All 18 passenger coaches on the quarter-of-a-mile train have been covered with magical Disney characters to tie-in with the recently launched Need Mag?c marketing campaign for Disneyland Resort Paris. After the train's record-breaking inaugural journey, it will be used on scheduled Eurostar services for six months and enjoyed by passengers travelling between the UK, France and Belgium.
Many special guests and celebrities have been invited to experience the inaugural journey followed by a magical day in the theme parks at Disneyland Resort Paris. Among those attending will be over 50 under-privileged children from the charity Gingerbread.
Commenting on the launch, Yann Caillère, President and COO of Disneyland Resort Paris said: "Disneyland Resort Paris is Europe's leading tourist destination and our long-standing partnership with Eurostar enables hundreds of thousands of guests from the UK to travel directly to the theme parks every year. This colourful Disney-liveried train gives our guests a taste of the magic before they arrive at the Resort."
Paul Charles, Eurostar's Director of Communications commented: "There's no better way of travelling to the heart of Disneyland Resort Paris than by Eurostar. Big kids and little kids alike can travel in comfort at speeds of nearly 200mph, enjoying the ride on Eurostar before they enjoy the magic of Disney."
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar services are now up to 40 minutes faster for return journeys, as the recently opened Channel Tunnel Rail Link enables trains to run at speeds of up to 186mph (300 kmh).
3. Eurostar was recently named "World's Leading Rail Service" in the 2003 World Travel Awards; "Best Rail Network" at the Business Travel World Awards 2004 and "Best Rail Operator" at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards 2004.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
5. More information about Eurostar can be found at www.eurostar.com
6. Disneyland Resort Paris is the number one tourist destination in Europe, and incorporates two theme parks, seven themed hotels, three selected hotels and a range of dining and entertainment options. A visit to Disneyland Park offers guests the chance to discover the magic of Disney fantasy and stories in 3-D and meet their favourite Disney characters. Walt Disney Studios Park, offers an interactive, behind-the-scenes discovery of the very best in cinema, animation and television. The Resort also features the Disney Village entertainment and shopping complex and Golf Disneyland, a 27-hole golf course.
7. More information about Disneyland Resort Paris can be found at www.disneylandparis.com