Eurostar gets set for a bumper bank holiday weekend
28 Aug 2004
- Eight extra trains to meet passenger demand
Eurostar, the high-speed passenger train service that links the UK with France and Belgium, today announced that it was expecting to carry 140,000 people over the bank holiday period (Thursday 25 August - Monday 30 August 2004).
To meet the unprecedented levels of demand from passengers, Eurostar has laid on eight extra trains.
The bumper passenger numbers come a week after Eurostar recorded its best ever punctuality performance. 97.35% of scheduled trains arrived on time or early between Monday 16 and Sunday 22 August.
Paul Charles, Eurostar's Director of Communications, said: "We're delighted to be carrying so many passengers over the bank holiday weekend.
"We thought it would be impossible to eclipse the record number of passengers we carried earlier this year when the English rugby team played France in Paris, however, this weekend looks like it will be the busiest of the year so far.
"Travellers are choosing Eurostar as they know we are the quickest and most reliable way to get to their destination."
1. Eurostar is the fast train service linking London, Ashford, Paris, Brussels, Lille, Avignon, Calais, Disneyland Resort Paris and the French Alps.
2. Eurostar services are up to 40 minutes faster for return journeys, as the Channel Tunnel Rail Link enables trains to run at speeds of up to 186mph (300 km/h).
3. Eurostar was named "World's Leading Rail Service" in the 2003 World Travel Awards; "Best Rail Network" at the Business Travel World Awards 2004 and "Best Rail Operator" at the Travel Weekly Globe Awards 2004.
4. Eurostar and Eurotunnel are two different companies with two different management teams. Eurostar is Eurotunnel's largest customer.
5. As part of its sponsorship of the Entente Cordiale centenary, Eurostar has introduced a school educational fare that applies to those aged 11-21 and in a minimum group size of ten people. The maximum group size is 99. The offer applies for travel on any day except Friday and Sunday. Travel is until 20th December 2004.
6. Eurostar tickets can be booked and more information found at www.eurostar.com or from the Eurostar Contact Centre on 08705 186 186.